The County has prepared a guide to Getting a Commercial/Industrial Building Permit in Fauquier County to assist applicants building a new commercial building. Refer to this document for a more detailed overview of the process.
To apply for a Commercial/Industrial Permit for a new building you will need:
- The following forms:
- 2 sets of building plans.
- Site Plan approval is required on most non-residential construction prior to submission of a building permit. If a site plan has not been approved, 1 copy of a plat showing the site layout of the proposed construction, drawn to scale must be provided to include any existing structures, easements, right-of-ways, and floodplains.
- If the property has recently transferred ownership and the new owner is not reflected yet in Real Estate records, a copy of the deed is required.
- Approved construction permits for well and septic from the Health Department, or, if on public water/sewer, an approval letter from the public utility. In addition an approval letter from the Health Department shall be submitted with any application where food service or restaurant facilities are proposed as part of the construction. Applications will be accepted after applying for health department approval, must show copy of receipt.
- VDOT approval is required to construct an entrance.
- Fees: Vary significantly depending on size and features of commercial/industrial structures. Minimum fees are collected at time of application submittal. See Fee Schedule for all fees and the amount of Minimum Fees due with application. Fees are payable by exact cash, credit card or check – starter checks will NOT be accepted. Credit cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard & Discover and will only be accepted in person. A convenience fee of 2.5% will be added to all credit card transactions.
Review and Approval Process
Once all materials are submitted, the application is reviewed by Zoning staff and the Building Plans Reviewer. See Plan Review for more detail about the Building Plans Review process.
The review process generally takes 2-3 weeks if plans are complete at time of first submission. If not, additional time is required for resubmission and review.
Tải game bắn cáOnce all reviews are complete Permitting staff will contact the applicant to let them know the permit is ready to issue.
Tải game bắn cáWhen returning to pick up the permit you will need to pay the remaining fees. The balance due will be provided by Permitting staff when they call.
During the construction process periodic inspections are required. See Inspections for more details.
Tải game bắn cáBefore the building can be occupied, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required. The CO cannot be issued until the following are completed/provided:
- All building inspections passed.
- VDOT final approval.
- Zoning site visit and approval.
- Operational permit from Health Department, or, if on public sewer and/or water, an Occupancy release from the public utility.
- It may take up to 48 hours to process your CO.